Y6b #2177 (was 1950?s Pokey Farm question #2)

Wed Dec 6 10:10:05 EST 2023

Abram,
If I recall correctly, prior to the redesign the “chin” of the smokebox face was open at the bottom which allowed grime and mud to accumulate inside the smokebox.  The new design included a plate on the “chin” opening to keep out mud and grime.  This kept the inside of the smokebox cleaner and eased maintenance efforts.  If I remember correctly, Bud Jefferies filled me on this years ago in a discussion about the oddities of the 2177.
Cheers,
Chris Dalton
Bluefield, WV
Sent from my iPhone