washout plugs

Thu Nov 30 16:12:56 EST 2023

I’ll add the attached some information from a 1929 Locomotive Cyclopedia to Ken’s excellent summary. These pages have some interesting procedural details around cooling the boiler and sequencing of the washing. I’m sure some people on this list (possibly including my father) have practical experience doing this - so maybe we’ll hear some stories (I imagine winter time washouts being a real pain!).

Cool catch Mike.

Matt Goodman
Columbus, Ohio, US