Sundays and holidays

Sun Nov 26 20:04:44 EST 2023

Thanks Ed.

You are correct, that was fat-finger typing and not going back to re-read what I had said.

Actually, it was supposed to be 1955, not 1954 or 1944. His time book, actually a ledger, began in January 1955, he used the smaller standard time books from his hire date in January 1947 and switched to this style book. Those smaller ones are still here as well, but I’ve not scanned them yet, so I use the ledger because it is handy and in electronic form.

Indeed, the railroad worked 24/7. I’ll add a bit more here. I want back in the time book, and did some further checking. I cannot say if they tried to shut down in December 1971, as he had taken time to fly his family to California to surprise his mother for Christmas, as it had been discovered she had cancer the previous spring. It would be her last Christmas. So he was off from December 21-30, but back to work on New Year’s Eve.

In 1972, on December 24th, he had been called out he had been called out as Conductor at 3:00 pm for RB-3, arriving Bristol at 9:50 pm. Their power was 852, 877, 358, 945 and 887. Four Geeps and an RS11. They immediately cut the units and caboose off, and turned  the crew around, and ran them back to Roanoke as BR-2 lite with the only the same units and caboose, arriving in Roanoke on Christmas morning at 1:50 am. He did not get called out until the 27th at 2:00 am to deadhead back and back out at 6:00 pm with an extra train.

In 1973, once again, they deadheaded home, this time on 86, leaving Bluefield at 11:25 am and arriving Roanoke at 2:45 pm. He was not called out again until 8:00 pm on the 27th to deadhead to Whitethorne to relieve a crew there.

In 1974, he was called out for an extra hopper train at 11:30 am with 141 cars arriving Bluefield at 4:25 pm. The railroad sent them back at 2:30 in the morning of the 25th with another coal train of 113 cars arriving at Roanoke at 7:05 am. He did not get called out again until the 29th at 1:00 am.

I hope this shows Mike how the life of a railroader was and in many ways, still is.

Best
Ken Miller