First Ribbon Rail on the N&W ?

Mon Oct 30 14:34:09 EDT 2023

Abe

There was an N&W Magazine article in the November 1941 issue that was headed “Joining Rails By Welding” which stated the first welded rail (128-feet long) had already been installed in the expansion of the Roanoke Yard. It also stated that the when the article was being written, the outfit at the Material Yard in Roanoke is being made ready to weld rail even longer, to 730 feet, and will be used in the eastbound main line track at the Bluefield passenger station. A little side bar depicting the rail being laid at Bluefield. It further stated that the rail was moved to Bluefield from Roanoke on a string of 17 flat cars in a regular westbound freight train.

Best
Ken Miller