N&W Cavalier on ex Virginia Trackage

Mon Oct 16 18:36:46 EDT 2023

The signal number on the left is very clear to me as 3760W and while less clear, the right is probably 3760E. Using a system many railroads used, that would be mile 376, the 0 indicates eastbound (eastbound even, westbound odd, just like train numbers) and might be the mile to within two-tenths of a miles (so between 375.0 and 376.1) and the E and W indicate the track (eastbound and westbound).

One source I found says Mullens was MP 376.7 so this would be just east of Mullens. I don’t know that area very well but from looking at maps, I can’t see what an N&W detour would be doing in Mullens.

--
Larry Stone
lstone19 at stonejongleux.com