1st Class J series 600-604

Thu Oct 12 10:49:51 EDT 2023

That’s interesting (counterweight). From Ken’s links, the *spacer* makes sense, but it left me wondering what the upside-down shark fin was for.

A counterweight could make sense since the top of the multiple bearing crosshead had a lot more metal in it. The K3 and early A’s didn’t have this device, so if it was a counterweight, I assume it was only necessary for the higher reciprocating speeds of passenger speeds?

Thanks Dave (and Larry for confirmation). And thanks to Mr. Rector for his consistently sharp eyes when it comes to details like this.

Matt Goodman
Columbus