Norfolk Depot 1892 and Today (NW Mailing List)

Mon Oct 9 23:50:34 EDT 2023

Abram,

Give this a try. It's a glorious image. I'm assuming it all became
reality. Includes both branches of the Elizabeth River, three piers at
Lamberts Point, Cape Henry, Virginia Beach. Sewell's Point looks a
little sparse. A true panorama.

I wouldn't have know of this except for the earlier post of Mr. Sledge.

https://www.loc.gov/resource/g3884n.pm009600/?r=-0.172,-0.032,1.313,0.677,0

ALSO, here's an even older Norfolk and Portsmouth Panorama c.1873 that
clearly shows the "Norfolk & Petersburg Div. of the Atlantic Mississippi
& Ohio R.R." terminal with roundhouse and depot in the lower right
corner. That's Mahone Lake and Newtons Creek above the R.R. terminal
according to the 1883 Sanborn Map. This is all now under the Norfolk
Tides Baseball stadium at Harbor Park. Interesting to note that a
light-rail line serves this same area today.

https://www.loc.gov/resource/g3884n.pm009580/?r=-0.198,-0.004,1.41,0.727,0

Thanks to you, I now know more about Norfolk's pre N&W R.R. history than
I ever did.

John Garner

Herr Garner, Landgraff of Newport, Excellency:

Can you give the URL for that nice bird's-eye drawing of Norfolk? It
might save me several hours searching in the L.C. Maps or in some of the
private libraries.

Thanks.

  -- abram burnett,
Used Turnip Salesman