How Efficient Were the "Big Three"?

Fri Oct 6 11:04:28 EDT 2023

Most revenue service steam locomotives maxed out at about 6% thermal
efficiency. Energy of fuel used versus drawbar horsepower.  A modern AC
diesel is about 30%.  It gen diesel about 20%.

The most efficient revenue steam locomotives where the Andre Chapelon
compound passenger 4-8-0s in France.  High single digit thermal
efficiency.  There where prototype steam engines that hut thermal
efficiency over 10% but steam was dying and it wasn't pursued.

Best Regards
John Rhodes