shanty

Thu Oct 5 18:53:12 EDT 2023

Here is a fine example of an N&W Switchman's Shanty still in existence today at the Roanoke Chapter NRHS railyard.  This particular shanty spent the majority of it's life in the yard in Christiansburg VA.  Later in life it was moved nearby to the Section Foreman's house and used as a chicken coop. The NRHS Mechanical crew acquired this structure and meticulously restored it back to in service appearance.  It was a really fun and rewarding restoration project for our Mechanical team along with the much appreciated help of Ken Miller with the paint colors. This restoration was a lot different pace than what we are use to on.the Railcars and Locomotives. There isn't a better place to be on a 25 degree winter afternoon than inside the shanty with a bucket of coal and a good book.Rick Rader
-------- Original message --------From: NW Mailing List <nw-mailing-list at nwhs.org> Date: 10/5/23  3:37 PM  (GMT-05:00) To: NW Mailing List <nw-mailing-list at nwhs.org> Subject: Re: shanty I believe Mason is correct here, a temporary watchman’s shanty for possibly track work, or maybe even put in for installation of electrification and a temporary telegraph block office.Close examination of the original photo shows a hole in the middle of the roof, where likely a stove pipe would have been tells me the building has been abandoned for some time, no apparent door or windows either.There is a curve speed limit sign right next to it.BestKen Miller> On Oct 5, 2023, at 1:15 PM, NW Mailing List <nw-mailing-list at nwhs.org> wrote:> > Jim,> I would think it is a temporary operators shack, perhaps as part of a trackwork project.> Mason>> On 10/05/2023 10:18 AM EDT NW Mailing List <nw-mailing-list at nwhs.org> wrote:>>  >>  >> Amazing how you can look at a picture that you've viewed many times and find something new that piques your curiosity.  Attached is a Society photo of an Electric heading to Bluefield crossing the bridge at Maybeury.  Today, I noticed the little structure on the East/South end on the bridge.  Anybody know or want to speculate on what its purpose was?  Door faces the tracks and there are fairly large windows cut into both sides.  Would this be an indication that it was "manned" at some point?.  Doesn't look like it would have been too comfortable for occupancy for any length of time.  No stack to indicate any form of heating and seemingly no glazing in the windows,>> Thanks,>> Jim Cochran>> ________________________________________ >> NW-Mailing-List at nwhs.org >> To change your subscription go to >> http://list.nwhs.org/mailman/options/nw-mailing-list >> Browse the NW-Mailing-List archives at >> http://list.nwhs.org/pipermail/nw-mailing-list/> ________________________________________> NW-Mailing-List at nwhs.org> To change your subscription go to> http://list.nwhs.org/mailman/options/nw-mailing-list> Browse the NW-Mailing-List archives at> http://list.nwhs.org/pipermail/nw-mailing-list/________________________________________NW-Mailing-List@nwhs.orgTo change your subscription go tohttp://list.nwhs.org/mailman/options/nw-mailing-listBrowse the NW-Mailing-List archives athttp://list.nwhs.org/pipermail/nw-mailing-list/