simple vs. compound

Fri Sep 29 18:46:45 EDT 2023

I will add that the Y class ran out of power quickly at A class speeds due
to restricted steam flow in to and out of the low pressure engine.  If
designed to do it a 58" drivered compound could handle any train an A could
at the same speed.

If the N&W had desired that the Y class low pressure front engine would
have needed to be 3 cylinder not 2.  Also each of the 3 LP cylinders would
have needed 2 piston valves per cylinder not 1 along with other design
changes.

Would N&W have been wanted to trade increased complexity for having a
single locomotive to do what an A and Y did with the higher efficiency of
compound? Hard to say but the simple Y7 concept that would also allow for a
single road locomotive was never built.

John Rhodes