Re: K1 in start of movie “Giant”

Sat Sep 23 14:45:44 EDT 2023

Mark:

https://www.nwhs.org/archivesdb/detail.php?ID=71542

The C&O had nothing working or that looked much like a 1920s passenger locomotive in May 1955 when the movie was due to film, but N&W was all-steam (but diesels were already announced. So, the N&W was called on to borrow a steam locomotive for the filming, which took place on the C&O east of Charlottesville, Va, the 100 is shown pulling into the station at Keswick (lettered “Ardmore” for the movie.

I’ve been told that only one side of the tender was painted and lettered C&O as that was all that was to be filmed. But that is word of mouth, not anything written.

As an aside, the ponce patterns for the C&O lettering are in our archives, I believe.

Best
Ken Miller