How Much Traffic on the VGN Narrows-Roanoke ?

Wed Sep 13 07:13:52 EDT 2023

Abram,

Here is an anecdotal answer to your question from someone who lives near Ellett (between Fagg and Yellow Sulphur Springs) on the former Virginian. I have visual and audio anecdotal information.

A typical 24 hour period sees about eight trains, practically all eastbound. There is occasionally westbound movement (usually hopper trains) which I attribute to track work, derailments, or heavy traffic on the “main line” through Christiansburg. Of the eight or so daily trains, 3 -4 are coal trains, 1-2 grain trains, 1 tank train, and 1-2 mixed freight including auto racks but never intermodal.

The Commonwealth of Virginia now owns this track between Salem and Merrimac. NS dispatches and maintains the track ( which to my non-expert eye appears to be well maintained). NS pays the state to use the track. When passenger service is started again( the last regularly scheduled passenger service ended about 1954) two passenger trains daily in each direction will be added. Engineering work is in progress by the state to determine track work needed near Merrimac to connect with the remnant of the NS Huckleberry Branch for a station to be build near the Mall in Christiansburg and to determine what, if any, work is needed on the mile long tunnel just east of Merrimac. It is anticipated that a wye will not be needed at Merrimac/Christiansburg as the equipment to be used in passenger service is anticipated to be bi-directional.

When the trains coming down the mountain whistle for the Jenelle Road crossing at night, it sets off a 1-2 minute long coyote concert that makes one pull the covers over their head.

Ray Smoot

Sent from my iPad