Roanoke Industry of the 1970's

Mon Sep 4 15:10:22 EDT 2023

 Don't forget about the huge neon sign on top of the silo that read "ROANOKE CITY MILLS  -  HOME OF METROPOLITAN AND LIGHT WHITE FLOUR."
Also, the scrap yard had a large sign on the roof of their structure visible from the Jefferson Street Bridge over the Virginian tracks.  The sign displayed a hopper car full of scrap metal and below it, alternating in neon, "ALWAYS BUYING  -  ALWAYS SELLING."
Bill KingArlington, Virginia

 Don

That was Roanoke City Mills which was the main industry with the silos. The Virginia Scrap Iron and Metal company was next door to the north, where the so-called “lost engines” of Roanoke were. In addition, there was a PPG paint place there, I believe that was the smaller building almost directly behind Victory Stadium. The Mill was serviced primarily by N&W, but VGN also served the scrap yard, none of the others had rail service to my knowledge.

The whole area was changed dramatically in the late 1990s, when the City of Roanoke wanted all signs of industry removed.

Attached is the Valuation Map for the section

Best
Ken Miller