Fwd: 54th Anniversary of Hurricane Camille Tye River Bridge washout, August 20

Mon Aug 21 17:29:23 EDT 2023

Bob,

Your post about the anniversary of Hurricane Camille's damage to to the
Southern Railway's Tye River bridge reminds me of my experience with the
aftermath of Camille's damage to the N&W's Shenandoah Division line,
which suffered extensive damage, but nothing compare to the loss of the
Southern's Tye River bridge. Consequently, the N&W was able to return
the Shenandoah line to service before the Southern's Type River bridge,
providing a detour route for Southern passenger trains.

I received a phone call from my good friend Bruce Sterzing (N&W Law
Department Solicitor, later president of the D&H Ry) asking if I wanted
to join him in riding one of the first trains on the Shenandoah line
since Camille, Southern No. 18, the Birmingham Special on September 5.
I ready agreed.  We both had passes marked, "Good on engines and freight
trains," so accessing the cab of the F3a lead unit was no problem, but
the crowd was a bit of a surprise because in addition to the regular
crew and Bruce and me there was also John Rehor (who wrote the
monumental book, The Nickel Plate Story and had been transferred to the
Safety Department in Roanoke) and a Southern Road Foreman of Engines.

The main flood damage began somewhere around Buffalo Forge and continued
as we proceeded north (by compass).  The damage was unbelievable.  We
observed a stream so small that we could barely see it, but it had
completely devastated the valley that it was in.  The crew pointed out
the foundation of a house where seven people died.

North of Stanley we got a "stop and proceed" signal, and we eased up to
some diesel units ahead of us only to discover that a double-barreled
(crew terminology for a train with a pusher) coal train had buckled some
hopper cars, blocking us on the single track.  We next backed No. 18 to
the siding at Stanley where the units were uncoupled and run through the
siding and coupled to the opposite end of No. 18 for the trip back to
Waynesboro, where the plan was to switch to the C&O Ry. for a "detour of
the detour" to get to Washington that way.  We all transferred to the
FP7a diesel unit at the opposite end of the consist, and the crew set up
the controls on that unit for our return trip south.  We had gone only a
couple of miles when the engineer called out, "we don't have any
brakes."  There was a moment of silence from all of us before he said
"we are starting down the mountain, and we don't have any brakes."  At
that the Southern RFE reached over the engineer's shoulder and moved the
automatic brake valve into the emergency position, stopping the train.
After determining that the brake valve was indeed inoperative in the
service application zone, the Southern RFE said to the N&W engineer,
"let me run it.  I am more experienced in this than you are."  So, the
Southern guy ran the train and made service applications of the brakes
by carefully moving the automatic brake valve handle almost into the
emergency zone, which would bleed off enough air to make a service
application, but not enough to initiate an emergency application.

When we got back to Shenandoah, and another crew change, Bruce and I
determined that there was a freight train called for Roanoke that we
could ride back home.  So, even though the Southern RFE invited us to
continue on to Washington with the train, Bruce and I decided to return
to Roanoke on the freight train caboose (remember them?), ending an
eventful journey.

Gordon Hamilton