utility pole question

Wed Aug 9 12:20:57 EDT 2023

Mike Rector asked:
> I am trying to find a drawing of a standardized utility pole, but I get a
> lot of useless results in the Archive of utility pole re-alignment maps
> in various towns and around stations, etc...
> Does anyone have a set of prints I can use to model these poles found at
> Boaz siding?

The Table of Contents for the N&W book of Standard Drawings does not list
anything that would apply. My understanding that that the commumications
and CTC poles fell under the jurisdiction of the signal department and not
the B&B or track/RoW maintenance departments. The signal department had its
its own series of drawings separate from the Motive Power and enginieering
(RoW/track) departments. The signal department drawings do not appear to
have had a timely savior to preserve them en-masse by in the day in the same
way as was done for the Motive Power and engineering drawings have been, and
are thus severly under-represented in the NWHS Archives.

We have a few early Tidewater/VGN drawings of crossarms and mounting of
insulators but nothing that shows the entire pole itself.

Hopefully soneone out there can find something in their collections to assist.

Joe Shaw
Christiansburg, VA