Elliston Feb 1953 - Oddball Left-Handed Signal - Headlights

Mon Jul 17 16:03:46 EDT 2023

 Ken:  There was a headlight practice used in "dark territory" day and night that was not listed in the Book of Rules" nor approved by railroad management.  After taking siding at a pass track, when an opposing train showed up, the head-end crew would blink the headlight to let the approaching movement that their train was in the clear. Before radio, how did they know ?  Louis Newton once told me he was directed to conduct an investigation as to why an N&W caboose had been side-swiped on the
Durham District.                                                   Harry Bundy