location - Miles Landing (was Christiansburg Middle Track) (NW Mailing List)

Tue Jul 11 12:16:52 EDT 2023

 That is something I didn't know, John. I always thought it was the
Kingston branch in Christiansburg that was suppose to meander over to
Floyd. Learn something new everyday.
That short branch in Radford doesn't have much activity on it anymore since
they closed the foundry over there on the west end. They use to deliver
road salt at the end of the line, I don't know if they do that anymore.
It connects to the main at JC.
I bet the line carried a lot of material for both Claytor and Little river
dams during construction. Although there looks to have been a large
quarry near the Claytor dam.

That New river bridge over on the east end of Radford near Plum creek, was
built for the American viscose plant, somewhere near 1946, I think?  There
is a water line or sewer line that is on that bridge so they never tore it
down. Big gates welded and fence to keep you from getting up on it. Good
fishing over there, and a place where you can put boats in the river, on
the radford side, behind the Dedmon center.
That Viscose plant became ATT sometime in the 70's?  Then ATT closed in
1990.  Its mainly a transfer/warehouse now,  for parts for the Volvo plant
in Dublin.

I rode the motorcycle down there to the bridge on the Pulaski county side,
it's a little ways past the buildings. It has a gate and fence blocking
access to it. Grown up with saplings and weeds everywhere, I went in
november so I could look around with the leaves off. not much there, I bet
that was twelve years ago. I used the water authority access road.
Google satellite map view shows it pretty well.

I also heard they were going to make a bike trail from downtown Fairlawn,
proper, along Viscoe road to the old RR bridge, across the river & connect
up to the Radford river trail.
 But that has been talk for the 20plus years that I have lived here, and
nothing has ever started. Pulaski county likes to spend money, but I
haven't seen any of it over this way.
Have a good one,
Rob Ervine,
Fairlawn VA