Recollections

Fri Jul 7 07:32:07 EDT 2023

Gordon and all First off thanks for sharing.  I've never seen a clearance car like this, pretty neat looking. I'm used the one that the B&O had, nothing this fancy.  Secondly I would like to thank all of the members who share their knowledge. RegardsJohn Musgrove Sent via the Samsung Galaxy Note10, an AT&T 5G Evolution capable smartphone
-------- Original message --------From: NW Mailing List <nw-mailing-list at nwhs.org> Date: 7/7/23  7:02 AM  (GMT-05:00) To:  Subject: Recollections
    From time to time someone posts on this site that we should be
      recording recollections of N&W/VGN veterans (aka old timers)
      before those individuals are gone.
    In this vein, I thought of an incident that may be interesting to
      those on this list.

    As background, I worked the summers of 1952-54 as a laborer
      servicing steam locomotives in the N&W shop in Durham, NC
      (plus the summer of 1955 as a similar laborer in the
      Winston-Salem, NC shop).  One day a special train arrived in
      Durham from Lynchburg, VA with a PRR clearance car like the one
      shown below with the feelers extended  (some of the N&W people
      called it a "porcupine car" for obvious reasons).
    I had occasion to talk to one of the PRR operators of the
      clearance car, and in the course of our conversation he told me
      that the track on this N&W branch line from Lynchburg to
      Durham was smoother than anything on the PRR outside of the
      Northeast Corridor!   Makes you kinda proud doesn't it?
    Gordon Hamilton