N&W collision at Rural Retreat

Fri Jun 16 13:44:17 EDT 2023

Frank,I have an extra large reprint that I made for one of the descendents of one of the engineers. Happy to send to you. I also have other photos, one particularly gruesome. There has been a lot of discussion of this event on this forum, about two years ago, and there is an ICC report.
Frank Akersf-akers at pacbell.net

Sent from AT&T Yahoo Mail on Android

  On Fri, Jun 16, 2023 at 1:19 PM, NW Mailing List via NW-Mailing-List<nw-mailing-list at nwhs.org> wrote:   The attached three photos of one very long picture at the Princeton Railroad Museum inside a glass case.  Does anyone know the facts for this head-on collision of trains 14 and 37 on October 20, 1920, at Rural Retreat, such as the direction of each end and which train number is which train?  The train at the right has a PRR car which telescoped over the tender.  Was it a RPO car or one with an express messenger?

If the N&W HS can arrange a loan to make a high-resolution scan (i.e. 600 dpi and removed from the frame), I guarantee that I will purchase a copy --whatever the cost.

Thank you,

Dr. Frank R. Scheer, Curator
Railway Mail Service Library, Inc.
f_scheer at yahoo.com
(540) 837-9090 - daytime cell
In the 1913 former N&W Railway depot along Clarke County route 723
117 East Main Street