Convention, Re: Pokey Places

Tue Jun 13 01:23:10 EDT 2023

Thanks, Jim. Great to see you and All at the convention, and thank you
to Tim and Steve for pulling it together. I share your view of the North
Fork Branch, but it got down to a choice of it or a long stretch of the
main, and the route-feet balance already heavily favored the branch
lines. At least the tonnage, otherwise lost, will be reallocated to
Keystone (?!). I can file an appeal with Management on the proposed hole
in the outside wall, but gotta tell ya I ain't feelin' it.

To my knowledge, your conjecture is correct. So happens I stopped by
Hale and Pinhook on the way home Sunday, dodging a bear cub there on Rt.
102 and dodging tornadoes in TN. The community of Hale's Bottom is
located on 102 west of the switch off the EB main that is Hale. The spur
served an Esso/Exxon facility with tank and box cars, and Thayer
Furniture in my era with box cars in and out. The long sweeping
left-hand curve starts west there at MP N-368.

A half mile east is Pinhook, site of ABS signals in both directions.
They were halfway between and were advance signals for control signals
at Falls Mills crossovers to the west and Clinch Valley Junction to the
east.

You saw Pinhook, the control point, on the layout's dispatcher panel in
case it needs to be added as a holdout signal to protect long yard moves
out of Bluefield and back on either main.

Located on a short tangent that helped with sight distance, a spur was
also located at Pinhook off the EB main as a pusher pocket, including a
crossover to the WB main, all hand-throws. An electric Bluefield Pusher
would clear up here to wait on eastbounds that needed a push up into the
yard. The head end could easily hold clear of the signal at CV Junction,
where the Bluestone River (such as it is) turns right and the main turns
left up Bluefield Hill at 1.22%. This run ended and the spur came out
when steam pushers stayed on through the new Elkhorn Tunnel and on into
Bluefield.

Generally, trains could hold west from Mercer St., then CV junction west
on the EB main to Morgan where road crossings became more numerous. Not
so much later as train length increased (Chris?). The likely cause of a
backup that far west was an eastbound working the River Track at
Bluestone Junction or at Flat Top Yard. Trains had to be able to start
on the ruling grade and backups usually occurred during night hours
before the daylight schedule. Remember all those meets between passenger
runs?

Grant Carpenter