Transition from "In <location name>" from "at <location name>

Tue May 30 20:01:09 EDT 2023

My take is on a railroad, a location is a specific point. You can either be at that location or not at that location. So even today, the first example is correct on a railroad. If the line still operated by timetable and change order and I received a train order to meet another train IN Chillicothe, I’d ask to have the order clarified as to where exactly in Chillicothe I was supposed to meet that other train. As for the second, the style of writing by railroad people probably just carried through to general writing.

--
Larry Stone
lstone19 at stonejongleux.com