VGN potos

Wed May 24 18:00:57 EDT 2023

Hi all,As a former St. Louisan and denizen of the library where the late John Barriger’s collection resides, I’ll note that, prior to the Interwebs these photos resided in scrapbooks likely assembled by Barriger himself, with inked notes accompanying them on the aged paper pages wherein they resided. The librarians were helpful, but rightly possessive of said treasures. Characters like me were allowed to examine the photos on tables, with the books resting on cushions. No ink pens or large backpacks were allowed in the fishbowl-like room, but pencils and notepads were permitted IIRC.
As I remember, one could order copies of the photos, but no snapshots by users were permitted in those early digital days.
This, you can imagine the joy when I discovered that the library had begun to digitize the collection a few years ago, spreading the knowledge to those not inclined to travel to the University of Missouri-St. Louis campus. UMSL rescued the collection of what had been the private Mercantile Library, which itself charged a reasonable amount for membership/access before the university obtained the collection and made access free.
I say all that to say that I expect young students may have a hand in scanning these images, and most wouldn’t know a Virginian 4-6-2 from the old TV show of the same name and, aside from the light rail trains cutting across the campus after leaving the ex-Wabash ROW from downtown, many likely don’t regularly commune with railroading, with a resultant lack of familiarity with what’s reversed — or not — in ancient photos.
I may have relayed this tale years ago, but our old neighbors from St. Louis moved up in the world 20 or so years ago and bought Barriger’s old home a coupla streets (and a coupla tax brackets) over. That led another longtime neighbor to recall how the old RR prez would invite neighborhood kids over to see the trains set up under his Christmas tree a half century or so ago.
The new owners of his old homeplace also discovered that part of the 2nd floor had been stoutly reinforced to accommodate the hefty weight of Barriger’s collection of books and railroadiana!
FWIW,
Andre Jackson
Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

Roger

They simply scanned them backwards, and most likely, the person scanning had no clue as to the fact they are backwards. Lots of the folks doing scanning on stuff like this don’t know or don’t care, its just a job.

I think Abe or someone made a list of locations.

Best
Ken Miller