When Was the Second Main Track Added?

Mon May 22 14:37:32 EDT 2023

“N&W in WV” covers the complete building of the Ohio River Bridge including the second track along with period photos.

Alex Schust

Sent: Monday, May 22, 2023 11:45 AM
To: N&W Mailing List
Subject: Re: When Was the Second Main Track Added?

I’ve been curious about the Ohio River bridge, Alex. I’ve found the Scioto Division book very helpful.

Regarding the double tracking, there’s a couple of clues available in the archives that put date-frames around the completion of the second track on the Scioto Division. Everything below hinges somewhat tenuously on one document: HS-CC10711.

HS-CC10711 (https://www.nwhs.org/archivesdb/detail.php?ID=124806) is titled “Scioto Division - Scioto Division - Estimate to Complete Second Track”  between MP 675 - 683, between Gregg to Cromley. I *interpret* that title as meaning all the other work was done on that Division. Unfortunately, it’s not dated. For reference, Gregg was on the southern boundary of Circlevlle, and Cromley was about five miles north of that city.

HS-S10100 covers the "profile of change of line" over two miles of the section described in the estimate. This drawing shows the second track and new alignment just north of Circleville and is dated August, 1910.

HS-F10091 and HS-F10006 describe changes within Circleville itself (which is within the section defined by the estimate), such as adding towers and gates, and constructing a new street, that were part of the double tracking and new alignment through the city. These drawings are dated 1911.

Therefore, 1911 is the date I’ve thrown around for the last couple of years for the Circleville improvements, and by extension, the Gregg to Cromley section. If my interpretation of the estimate’s wording is correct, it seems the Circleville - Cromley section wrapped up the doubletracking of the Portsmouth-Columbus section.

That’s my story anyway.

Matt Goodman

Columbus, Ohio, US.

The book “Norfolk & Western in West Virginia,” provided complete details on building the main line, adding the second main line as well as all of the branch lines in West Virginia from Bluefield to Kenova including details on the Ohio River Bridge. The commissary may have some to sell, other than that the book is sold out.

The annual reports provide some information, but the details are found in the 31 books of the Betterment Program Comptroller Account books running from September 1900 to February 1916. Books BV-C00177 through BV-C00209 are located in the back room of the archives on Rack 5, Bay 1, Shelf 3.

Alex Schust