utility pole question

Fri May 5 19:36:07 EDT 2023

Another thing which has been largely forgotten is the significance of white porcelain insulators on pole line.  They were used on every other cross arm to mark the Train Dispatcher's telephone circuit wires.  This was done so that the Section Foreman (or others) needing to talk to the Train Dispatcher could identify the pair of wires which carried his voice circuit, and could clip their portable telephone onto the pair.

So my question is, who got to climb the pole to clip the portable phone to the line?   Or am I missing an important detail?

Jim Stapleton

Abram, Thank you for sharing those photos.  It seems that here is one of your shared images with the phone wires indicated with white porcelain insulators that you mentioned yesterday.
Mike Rector

<image.png>