Air Start C630

Fri May 5 12:27:03 EDT 2023

Jimmy, I talked to Mark today - the guy I mentioned complaining about the ALCOs. My memory was only partly right. His complaint was that they were well down in power because they were on their last legs.  He also remembers them being very oily and that he had to be careful walking past the open radiator louvres because they would grab his coat if they happened to snap closed!

Matt Goodman
Columbus, Ohio

Sent from my mobile

On 4/11/2023 11:07 AM, NW Mailing List via NW-Mailing-List wrote:

> I have a friend in Portsmouth that operated the Circleville job in the 1970’s. He’d occasionally get an Alco and hated them - they took too long to load, which slowed down switching and made it less predictable. The man on the ground would keep prodding him to come ahead, and he’d respond with something to the effect of “I’m trying!". He admitted that they were on their last legs by that time, which didn’t help matters…
Matt,
I had total different experience with the ALCOs. They loaded up faster than anything. I am told the exception being a FM Train Master, which I never got to run. What you are describing sounds just like any of the GE locos!

Jimmy Lisle