Y2a Cylinder Castings

Sat Apr 29 20:09:40 EDT 2023

That photo does a better job than most on illustrating the size of that component. Wow.

Abram, I have two references for you on your question that might help. I’ve attached two photos showing an Underwood Portable Boring Bar machine bolted to the cylinder studs of #33. This locomotive is an ex LS&I, ex Hocking Valley Scenic, current Age of Steam locomotive.

The second two photos are from the International Correspondence School book titled “The Steam Locomotive” Part 1, Edition 1. The quote that might interest you is in the second of those images and states:

“The machine usually preferred when machining cylinders is the Norton draw-cut shaper. This machine has facilities for boring the chambers and planing the flat surfaces in one setting of the casting. The machining of the smokebox seat is done at another setting."

Maybe Gordon can pitch in some color commentary!

Matt