Y2a Cylinder Castings

Sat Apr 29 08:50:41 EDT 2023

Hi all.

While browsing my dad’s collection of N&W Magazines, I found an advertisement in the January, issue displaying a Y2a cylinder casting cast by Newport News Shipbuilding and Dry Dock Company (see attached). Since the Y2s were built by the N&W, I thought foundry work such as this would have been done in Roanoke.

In what situations (or timeframes) were casting jobs like this outsourced? Besides Newport News Shipbuilding, what other vendors did this kind of work for the railroad(s)? Did the N&W do any large, complex castings in later years? On the flip side, my assumption is that specialty work like one-piece frames were always outsourced - is that correct?

Matt Goodman
Columbus, Ohio, US