Mainline track spacing

Sat Apr 22 15:02:14 EDT 2023

Jim,

Instead of the constant K = 9 for HO scale, plug in K = 30 for O scale
(measurements in inches).

Generally, for track centers (TC) on curves and R = radius:

TC/curve/ = TC/tangent/ + (K / R)

should work for different scales and units of measure by scaling the
term "K" below.

For all terms in millimeters:

TT3 (1:101.6) scale, K = 4300

TT (1:120) scale, K = 3000

For all terms in inches:

N (1:160) scale, K = 3

TT (1:120) scale, K = 5

HO (1:87) scale, K = 9

S (1:64) scale, K = 17

O (1:48) scale, K = 30

The disclaimer. . .
I have only tested this empirically in HO scale. Your results may vary
with scale and tolerances of wheel gauge, track gauge, track centers,
and overhang.

Grant Carpenter