Rail on the Pocahontas Div

Fri Apr 14 11:16:53 EDT 2023

Chris,

I've heard mention of a 155lb test section on the Division, but never
confirmed how much where.

Aside from the mix of 130/131/132lb rail on the main and branch lines,
track charts show the next size down as 100lb rail elsewhere on spurs,
some branchline sidings and end of track, except for the occasional 85lb
tail; but, nothing in between. Not on the charts, I checked on three
steam-era customer spurs west of Bluefield. All were still in and had
100lb rail marked "1919 MARYLAND."

The 100lb rail height measures 5-1/2" that PECO code 60 rail makes for a
nice fit. I'm working a large stash of code 81 rail by Right-O-Way, but
an excellent flex track option is the PECO code 83. It is spot-on for
N&W heavy track, including crosstie profile, length and spacing.

Harry,

In addition to sections of 140lb rail on the eastbound main in Elkhorn
Tunnel and at Powhatan, I noticed three short sections on the Buchanan
Branch at Raitt, all located on curves.

Grant Carpenter