boxcar height question

Wed Apr 12 18:54:28 EDT 2023

so based upon these scans, there would appear to be a 1.25 inch height increase from the BK to the BL, but apparently this was not significant enough to N&W folks to matter.  I found the attached document giving car dimensions by car class (a document I had purchased from the archives some years ago but did not properly name the file to make it easy to find when needed - D'oh!!...>> )

I've been trying to work out the progression of the N&W boxcar fleet, as well as class naming decisions and tracking of rebuilds.  I know I have seen some things in print at some point, but my memory is not serving me well these days.  From what I can see, I am left to wonder if the class BS cars were built on former BK/BL underframes.  If anyone has info on that one way or the other, I would appreciate it.

From there, there is a full set of drawings in the archives for a class BR car that looks to have been a planned update of the BP cars with 1 and ½ Youngstown doors, a new roof and ends.  As far as I can tell, these were never built, but instead the class BS was constructed.  The BS cars look like they could be a class BP body on a BK/BL underframe (and with new doors and roof and ends).

I haven't gotten to look closely at the class BT cars yet, but again wonder if a similar progression was involved.

Class B6 boxcars look like B5 frames/side sills but with more/narrower side panels, a more standard roof style and more standard ladder spacing.

Class B7 appears to be a rebuilding of class BS cars (same ends but sides extended outward slightly)

Any expert info on these conjectures of mine would, again, be most appreciated.

Sincere thanks,
Brent[cid:5718083b-9bb6-45be-8cba-77ab0fd552b5]

Dr. J. Brent Greer