Track rail weight

Wed Apr 12 12:03:28 EDT 2023

For your era, 39’ is correct. Caveats are shorter lengths to keep the stagger correct in curves, and longer sections (78’) were used at road crossings and some bridges / tunnels to reduce maintenance (i.e., to prevent a joint from showing up in the middle of a grade crossing).  You might find 33’ rail in older sidings. This was a standard length in the mid-twenties.

This is according to Railway Engineering Maintenance Cyclopedia published in 1938. No boots on the ground experience (other than the HVSRR back in the day).

Matt Goodman
Columbus, Ohio, US.