Locomotive drive question

Sat Apr 1 14:42:34 EDT 2023

Somewhere I read that when the C&NW was single track most, if not all,
of the station buildings were built on one side of the track so that
when a second track was added it had to go on the opposite side of the
original track from the station buildings. The original track had to
become the inbound track in commuter territory so that people waiting
for the train to take them to work would have the use of the station
buildings for shelter while they waited.  Station buildings were not
needed on the other track where outbound passengers would leave for home
without tarrying. This utilization of the two tracks reportedly resulted
in the left-hand running.

Gordon Hamilton