Locomotive drive question

Thu Mar 30 20:45:48 EDT 2023

I know that the N&W and most (but not all) American steamers were
"right-side drive." Most British and British Commonwealth steam engines on
the other hand were/are "left-hand drive" so to speak. But that said, there
were a few American railroads I believe that had left-hand drive,
specifically if I recall, some Chicago & Northwestern and some NY Central
engines.

Why the difference domestically and how many other companies used the
left-hand drive nomenclature and for how long. Did N&W actually ever
produce or use any left-hand drive locos that we know of?

This ought to spark some interest and discussion and I thank you.

Bob Cohen
subscriber to turnips international media