Turning Big Engines at Lynchburg

Wed Mar 22 12:14:41 EDT 2023

Thankfully our own stellar publication, The Arrow, has the answer.

23 years ago in Vol.16 No.6, Jim Gilliam's writes in his article 'Mr.
Percival's Island': "Whenever it became necessary to turn larger
locomotives, the wye at Durmid was used. (Durmid was a junction of the
Durham line, the Southern main line and the Belt Line, located east of
Kinney Yard.)".

"Larger locomotives" would primarily be the Y class locos; rarely a
Class A or J. The article is well worth a read or re-read! Jim credits
Harry Bundy, Tom Ledford, Louis Newton, and Fred Reburn for their
generous help in writing his article.

John Garner

Can anyone tell me how big engines (Mallets) were turned at Lynchburg?
Was there a turntable of sufficient size at Island ?

-- abram burnett,
Visit TURNIPFEST 2023 !