Boaz siding

Sun Mar 12 13:10:18 EDT 2023

Does anyone have images or info about Boaz siding that they are willing to
share that may help me model it in HO?    I am particularly interested in
the length of the siding.  Placement of the buildings (sheds), and where
the turnouts are located beyond (east) of the shed.  I also want to know
about a culvert that I believe was located right where the crossover
connected to the siding turnout.  I will need to model that, but don't know
what to make it look like.  Also, probably most importantly of all: how to
pronounce it. I'd assumed it was Bo-Azz since I heard about it as a kid.
I've read that it was pronounced Bose, like the speakers, and named for the
local farmer family. One of the members of our Facebook group stated he
hunted on the family property many years ago, and they pronounced it
Bo-azz, so I consider it settled at this point, unless someone is going to
say that everyone on the railroad called it Bose (seemingly incorrectly).

I have a pretty good image of it from the Archives, taken from a distance.
Luckily it is mostly perpendicular to the track.  I have derived some
distances, although there is some perspective involved that I will need to
take into account. I'm including her a photo of the siding with my distance
measurements, and a track chart/Google map overlay, to show the things I am
looking at.

[image: image.png]

[image: image.png]

I am looking carefully at Boaz siding images and info that I can get my
hands on. I am planning to model it as a small diorama in HO scale,  mostly
for taking photos of my rolling stock, and to motivate me to weather and
detail some locos.  The primary obstacle to the process is believably
modeling a weeping willow. If I can't nail that, there's really no point in
proceeding.  I'm experimenting with some materials I have found online,
such as large feathers from ostrich and peacock, and with miniature fern
fronds (from asparagus).  This all stems from my work to build a diorama of
the Auville yard service area.  As I started buying lumber for that scene,
I began thinking about the improvements in model scenery since I last built
a layout.  Perhaps I should practice on a small scene. Somehow I turned
that into a 6 or 8 ft x 32 in diorama/module. 😶 At least it's mostly track
and wild grass fields scenery.

Thanks for any pics or info you can share to help.
Mike Rector