Automatic switchers

Wed Mar 8 14:46:46 EST 2023

Mike

The low water alarms allowed room to safely put water in the boiler before the crown sheet was uncovered. It was only set to go off if the situation demanded a response and soon. It could be tripped to test it, which is how I heard it on the 611 during the test run in Alabama in August 1982. It is a very loud, high-pitched whistle that truly will quickly get your attention.

I’ve heard stories where engineers were taking a locomotive to get to the end of their run, and would not stop for water, trying to get in without taking that extra stop. After they dropped off the engine, the low water alarm was going off because there was so little water left in the tank.

Ken Miller