First Gaylord overpass bridge across the N&W

Wed Mar 1 09:43:10 EST 2023

Thanks Mason. That's a bit earlier than I would have guessed but admittedly
didn't know. Based upon the present configuration, it definitely appears
that something had been where that first bridge was built. I guessed and
that is only that, that some homes were razed, so 1936 it is. Thank you
Mason.

Now when was the second one done, and when was that first one
rebuilt/upgraded? I can guess  only but that's not my purview here but to
get a definitive answer.

Also, any idea of when the old station was closed/razed?

And as you stated the old PO was (and still is for that matter), located on
the NW side of the crossing. You can still see it as it slowly deteriorates
there, long-closed.

Bob Cohen

The bridge was opened in 1936. The post office was originally located at
trackside near the railroad on the north side of the original roadway. A
mill was razed and was located where the first bridge that crossed the
railway is now located.

Mason Cooper

Does anyone out there know when the first Route 340 N&W overpass at
Gaylord, Va. was built ? A 2nd one was added some years later so the
highway today is a 4-lane divided highway at that point. I know the post
office at Gaylord was closed in 1956 is all

Bob Cohen