gauge changing procedures

Mon Feb 27 09:25:52 EST 2023

A number of years ago, there was a discussion on this mailing list about N&W RR’s conversion to standard gauge on June 1, 1886. Included in that discussion were copies of newspaper articles, etc., explaining how that was done and its planning and execution. If I remember correctly, N&W shut down the day before and the entire main line of 406 miles was converted over on June 1st to standard gauge. There was some preliminary work done on passing sidings and possibly yards so that standard gauge operation could begun at the end of the day on June 1st.

Bud Jeffries