Virginia & Tennessee RR - 1874 Map

Tue Feb 21 09:37:54 EST 2023

John,Having lived in Lynchburg for four score years I have accumulated a good deal of data and information on railroad operations here. I have given power point programs which I call “The First Life of the James River Heritage Trail” and I can show you where the wagon bridge was located the first couple years over which passengers were conveyed to and from the V&T station. This information was found in a book by Ashby Christian published in 1900.
To respond to your question about Vgn 200 ton crane B-19, in my final Vgn book, Virginian Railway Memories, I have a picture of it sitting in Roanoke, another of it lifting the 472 from the banks of the river in January 1938 near Moneta and also one of it in Princeton Shops where it was converted to diesel in April 1957. There is also an equipment roster in the chapter. Hope this helps and you are welcome to visit.Aubrey Wiley

Sent from the all new AOL app for iOS

Thanks for the reply Charlie. Do we know which road owned/constructed
the west end bridge (i.e. where exactly did the two properties meet)?

Also, seems like I remember that both roads operated into Lynchburg for
some time without an actual connection (i.e. bridge) between the two
roads.

I find the history of the James River waterfront in Lynchburg
fascinating. The amount of travel and commerce that has occurred within
such a confined area is amazing. Hard to believe it all happened as you
stand there today.

John Garner

John,
The SS RR connected to the V&T at/on the west end bridge over the James
coming from Percival's Island. Fred Reburn gave an awesome tour of the
Island as part of the N&WHS 2oo2 Convention here.
Charlie Long
Lynchburg (Lynchburgh in the 1880s)
Lynchburg

Does anyone know the exact point where the Southside RR ended and the
V&T RR began?

John Garner
Newport, VA