Hopper Train

Sun Feb 19 16:56:34 EST 2023

About 4pm I observed what appeared from a distance to be a hopper train (empties) moving eastward through Ellett on the former Virginian.  My observation was from a distance so it is possible there was coal in the cars but there was no coal visible at the top as is usually the case.

There continue to be three or so coal trains daily through Ellett (up from two or so daily a year or so ago). This is railroad that the Commonwealth of Virginia now owns but is still operated by Norfolk Southern.

       Ray Smoot