"Trimming" Both Engines of a Mallet

Sun Jul 24 20:59:38 EDT 2022

Early in the Mallet era it was found that the ration of piston area of the
low=pressure engine and the high-pressure was 2.5 to 1.  This allowed the
valve cutoffs of the two engines to be virtually the same as speed
increased and the cutoffs of both engines to work together very nicely.
N&W kept tinkering with its Y-class  engines and eventually come up with
differing  full-gear cutoffs of  70 percent for one engine and 75 percent
for the other; regrettably I don't recollect which was the high and which
was the low.  But Mallets worked very nicely with one power reverse
cylinder for both.
- Ed King