Top Story of the "New" General Office Building in Roanoke

Fri Jul 22 16:20:53 EDT 2022

Your Turnipship,

When I was an apprentice electrician way back in the 60s, I worked some in the GOB.  Met the resident electrician and the only thing I recall is that he kept an N&W calendar on the wall marked each day with what the weather was that day.  He had worked there before the WWII.  He looked up my date of birth on the old 1944 calendar and it was raining with  thunder and much lightning...

Skip Salmon

>     I have lost track of the players, but someone (Judge Hamilton?  Professor Scheer?  Maylor Long?) sent to the List a postcard image of the "New" GOB.
>
>     Does anyone know what was inside that small story atop the building?  I can guess it housed the elevator hoisting motors and mechanisms, but what else?
>
>     Sadly, I missed the opportunity to find out first-hand.  My mother's first cousin was married to the GOB building manager, and I could probably have hit him up for a tour.  But when you are young, you don't even know what questions to ask.  At least, I didn't.  Shucks, I was still trying to figure out how to keep from derailing box cars...
>
>     Eight floor, please...
>
>     -- abram burnett,
>     Our Cartel Traffics Big Ole Juicy Turnips

SKIP SALMON