Switchback Mine Run on Elkhorn Branch ca.1940s

Sun Apr 24 12:02:32 EDT 2022

Jim,

In this period leading up to the Elkhorn realignment, other changes were
occurring: tipples closed, traffic changed, Traffic Control expanded and
so forth. I'm not sure of the chronological order of details here and
most will relate to the run's last years.

Based at Eckman Yard, the Switchback Mine Run was a day job that worked
the main line east from Keystone up to Switchback. Regular motive power
was the Class Y3 No. 2005, dispatched facing upgrade/east. Empties for
the branch were picked up en route at Morgan, about two miles west of
Switchback. Westbound Elkhorn jobs would set off empties there on two
storage tracks next to the westbound main. The mine run could access
them via a local, hand-thrown crossover from the eastbound and would
couple them ahead of the 2005.

At one train a day, the junction at Switchback didn't rate a
signal--just a hand-thrown, facing-point switch on the eastbound main.
Like the local crossover at Morgan, the switch had an electric lock that
was controlled by the operator at Bluestone Tower. Permission was sought
by phone in a line-side box at the junction. Another line-side box held
a register book for the conductor to register on the branch and off when
leaving.

Empties were shoved around the tipple(s) to the delivery tracks beyond,
then loads were pulled from below and blocked for east and west. Tonnage
declined as the three old mines on the branch were worked out. According
to Alex in /Billion Dollar Coalfield/, Shamokin Colliery closed in 1941
and Elkhorn Colliery in 1944, leaving Angle (Norfolk) Colliery to hang
on into the 1950s. I believe the third leg of the wye through downtown
Maybeury was taken up before the wye you mentioned at Elkhorn Colliery,
so closing Elkhorn removed any means of turning the 2005. Backing out to
return home might have reduced tractive effort, but that was offset by
the decline in tonnage. Also, there was the speed restriction for
backing moves, but that was raised in later years.

Then there was the lack of signaling both at the junction and on the
main. To come off the branch headed west on the eastbound main with no
westward signals was slow running. Later, bidirectional TC would help,
but that was somewhat offset when the Powhatan Arrow began service.
Depending on the schedule, the mains cleared for Nos. 25 and 26 to meet
in this area every mid-afternoon. This was on top of the base load of
traffic. For example, before the relocation reduced it, the eastbound
ruling grade was two percent, so heavy eastbounds were shorter, more
frequent, and rated both pushers and helpers on short cycles (i.e., slow
eastbounds and lots of westbound light moves). At least with extras,
operators could hold traffic windows open during the day for local jobs
to work.

After getting permission from Bluestone, coming out onto the eastbound
main set the mine run up to proceed west to the Crozer tipple across the
main from Morgan. From the eastbound main, east loads were set off in
the tipple's runaround for pickup by eastbound Elkhorn crews. West loads
were then shoved across the local crossover to the storage tracks at
Morgan where the empties had been pulled earlier. Westbound Elkhorn and
(later) River crews forwarded the loads to Eckman/Kimball and
Williamson, respectively.

If the eastbound main was busy, Crozer was skipped and the east loads
went on to Eckman. If the westbound was busy, Morgan was skipped and the
west loads went to Eckman. If time got tight on both mains, the Eckman
operator tried to keep the Powhatan Middle Track open for them to clear up.

Edits and questions are welcome--I hope this helps.

Grant Carpenter