the Arrow Jan-Feb. 2022

Wed Mar 30 20:06:58 EDT 2022

The question(s) about this issue of the Arrow reminded me of a question that I had.

The back cover highlighted a brace of RS-11’s leading a coal train. Two things stood out to me:
The locomotives were all running short hood forward. I thought the N&W always ran long hood?
More surprising, what appears to be the engiineman was riding the short end of the second locomotive. Was that unusual? Was it thought that was a safer position for the crew? Or was it just a more “familiar” position for enginemen used to a long boiler?

Matt Goodman
Columbus, Ohio, US.