Builder Plate Conundrum

Thu Feb 24 11:54:44 EST 2022

I have an original NW photo print of Class G2 #256 0-8-0T dated 1922.
This loco is RMW Const. No. 118 built Dec. 1890.

In 1920 it was converted from Class G #256 2-8-0 to become the East
Portsmouth shop shifter (Class G2).

Using a lupe, I was looking forward to seeing a good image of an
original RMW builders plate. It is a very sharp print from a large
company negative.

To my disappointment, the plate on the loco reads 'Norfolk and Western
Ry. Roanoke Shops Built Dec. 1890 No. 47'

I can understand the NW replacing the RMW plate with one of their own,
but can anyone explain why it has Const. No. 47?

Const. No. 47 was RMW Class F 2-8-0 #169 built Dec.1887.

John Garner, Newport VA