Old Elkhorn tunnel

Mon Dec 27 15:26:30 EST 2021

Jim,

Yes, looking at Google Maps/satellite, the west portal of the old
Elkhorn Tunnel appears to be just to the right of the "graphical"
junction of the two roads. Drag a distance measurement line from there
south to the new tunnel's east portal and 0.58 miles should mark the
vicinity of the old tunnel's east portal.

Winding northwest up Mill Creek from the Bluestone River at Coopers, the
main line entered the east portal on a right curve that extended into
the tunnel. However, most of the tunnel was on a north-northwest tangent
to the west portal where the main entered a left curve to a tangent that
is now marked as Coal Dale Mountain Road.

The Low-Grade Line was built later, bypassing the steep climb up Mill
Creek. It left what became known as the "Old Main Line" at the east
portal and stayed up on the northeast side of the hollow, crossed high
over the Bluestone River on Cooper Trestle, entered Cooper Tunnel and
joined back up with the Old Main Line at Bluestone Junction. This grade
separation allowed the 1947 construction of the relocated (current) main
on the Old Main Line's right-of-way while traffic continued to use the
Low-Grade Line.

The old tunnel and the Low-Grade Line were abandoned after the new
tunnel and relocated main were opened in 1950. Both portals were blown
down to seal the tunnel, plus what may have been a third portal to the
left of the east portal for the parallel ventilation shaft. When I was
there many years ago, west portal remnants included the right side of
the portal's brick face at the bottom of the arch. A few mainline
crossties remained on the tunnel approach near the road junction.

Nothing remained of the east portal and it could only be located by a
distinctive rock formation above it. From there down adjacent to the new
east portal, the roadbed was obstructed by what appeared to be
overburden from strip-mining activity.

 From adjacent to the new east portal down to the river, the upper
portion of the Old Main roadbed was undercut for the approach cut to the
new east portal and the lower portion was buried in fill. Much of the
Low-Grade roadbed was left intact, including catenary bridge bases for
the electrification.

Grant Carpenter