VGN Helper Practices over Christiansburg Mountain ?

Fri Aug 27 13:43:35 EDT 2021

Here’s a link to an article on Virginian’s electrification from the January 1926 issue of Ohio State Engineer magazine:

The Virginian Railway Electrification : The World's Most Powerful Locomotives (osu.edu) <https://kb.osu.edu/handle/1811/33774>

Bound volumes of Railway and Locomotive Engineering magazine from the ‘20s are available online and might have more information. I haven’t gone through all the bound volumes but I did find some VGN content. For example, the Nov.  ’27 issue has a four page article on the then – new “Electric Locomotive Maintenance Shop of the Virginian.” The very interesting article has a couple of photos of the shop, a track plan for the shop and the adjacent area, and a detailed floor plan for the motor barn complete with dimensions. The bound volume is here:

https://archive.org/details/railwaylocomotiv40newy/page/1

The motor barn article is on pages 310 to 314. If you select “one page view” in the buttons in the lower right, right – click on each page, and select “save image as…,” you can download the individual page scans.

Rob Doorack

Guilford, CT