RD and other Pocahontas Towers

Wed Aug 25 14:37:29 EDT 2021

The HQ Tower in Bluefield (Graham) Virginia was a two-story wooden structure. See the photo attached.

Paul Mandelkern

Winter Park, Florida

Sent: Wednesday, August 25, 2021 12:54 PM
To: NW Mailing List <nw-mailing-list at nwhs.org>
Subject: Re: RD and other Pocahontas Towers

Gordon,

Thanks for sharing.

Two difference from today immediately come to mind:

The N&W Winston- Salem line was then double track at this location.

There was a connector from the Winston Salem line southbound to the Virginian westbound. Does anyone know when this was eliminated

   Ray Smoot

Sent from my iPad

A small version of the attached photo appeared with my letter in the "From the Railway Post Office" in the April - June 2019 issue of The Arrow.  I scanned this photo from the publication, "Comprehensive City Plan - Roanoke, Virginia 1928."  The view is looking west along the VGN.  The bridge just beyond the tower is the Walnut Avenue bridge.

Gordon Hamilton