VGN coal in 1953

Fri Aug 20 21:06:13 EDT 2021

 Tons or carloads? Accordingto Glen's text in his post, each carload was one ton (or each ton was one carload) I would assume that export coal loaded at Sewall's Point was either on line (delivered to the ship) or off line (the ship would deliver it somewhere else), but could not be "both." But which was it?
Jim Nichols