cab vents

Mon Aug 9 20:42:50 EDT 2021

Mr. Cochran,

In partial response to your questions, I refer again to the 1906 Locomotive Dictionary.

"Ventilator.  A hinged flap or door placed in the roof of a locomotive cab, to cause a circulation of air through it and by carrying off some of the heat, to make the temperature more endurable to the engine crew in hot weather.    See Cab Ventilator."

"Cab Ventilator. A hinged door in the roof of the cab to allow a circulation of air."

The general arrangement drawings of a "Cab Roof Ventilator" show an operating lever made of oak and attached to the back wall of the cab with a connecting rod to raise and lower the hinged flap or door.   Other parts were a shutter trunnion, shutter staple and shutter bearing.

My literature doesn't cover the clearstory as used on the 117 so I can't confirm if it provided ventilation but I suspect that it did.

W.E. Honeycutt